Well, we beat the weather, the siding is done. We had a newspaper interviewer interview the sixth graders. We also had German exchange students come to Mountain Home to stay with Mr. and Mrs. Holland... and they even worked on the tiny house! The exchange students had never seen a Tiny House before!
We are done with the outside and expecting a plumber and electrician soon. We are planning the stairs,benches,booth and cabinets.
After much impatience, the windows came in. From my experience building houses, I have often been frustrated in the fact that at least one window is usually wrong, good news, they are all in! The double hung's openings were a little big, but we figured it out.
The kids asked, " Mr. Holland, why are we putting this stuff around the windows?" I explained that when you do anything, you usually get better and learn new techniques. We used Tyvek and the flex membrane that is recommended so that we would get a very good seal against moisture and wind.
We wanted an out swing French door for this years model, very expensive. I found a set of panels on Craigslist, and made the frame. I used a out swing threshold and Jamb material. it turn out well and wasn't as difficult as I feared. I did this project without the kids due to the fact that I didn't want to give them a vocabulary lesson that was inappropriate because of my high frustration level. We will probably cut out the top panels and add glass to let in more light to the sitting area. The total cost of the door was $350.
We put it the loft as well, this week. We got a great deal on some number one cedar. One of the kids commented on the fact it was so pretty, it seemed a sham to cut it. it is grooved on the underside, which would be the ceiling of the kitchen and bath, but flush in the loft. With everything tiny, there is always a problem, while it makes a great ceiling, it is too weak as a floor for the loft, I almost put my arm through it. We will need to cover that beautiful deck with another layer of something.
Well the rains are coming to Southern Idaho in the next few days, I better get a work crew and finish the siding.
The staining is done, what a mess! I got several kids from the sixth grade hall to help. I asked the teachers if I could have groups of four kids to help. They could be kids who finished their work or kids who were driving them crazy and they needed a break, I don't judge. We used a Cabot clear nature stain. It was highly rated and it didn't break our budget. We brushed it on and the kids were liberal with it. As you can see from the pictures, we managed to get some up. I really like the looks of it. We are using twist shank nails. We used them last year and they seem to stay in place well.
Hopefully the windows will come in the first of the week. I found some door panels and I am putting together a french door. I am not comfortable doing such fine work, but it is a small job and everyone who does such things are too busy to look at it.
We are a Gifted and Talented class in the Mountain Home School District