The kids asked, " Mr. Holland, why are we putting this stuff around the windows?" I explained that when you do anything, you usually get better and learn new techniques. We used Tyvek and the flex membrane that is recommended so that we would get a very good seal against moisture and wind.
We wanted an out swing French door for this years model, very expensive. I found a set of panels on Craigslist, and made the frame. I used a out swing threshold and Jamb material. it turn out well and wasn't as difficult as I feared. I did this project without the kids due to the fact that I didn't want to give them a vocabulary lesson that was inappropriate because of my high frustration level. We will probably cut out the top panels and add glass to let in more light to the sitting area. The total cost of the door was $350.
We put it the loft as well, this week. We got a great deal on some number one cedar. One of the kids commented on the fact it was so pretty, it seemed a sham to cut it. it is grooved on the underside, which would be the ceiling of the kitchen and bath, but flush in the loft. With everything tiny, there is always a problem, while it makes a great ceiling, it is too weak as a floor for the loft, I almost put my arm through it. We will need to cover that beautiful deck with another layer of something.
Well the rains are coming to Southern Idaho in the next few days, I better get a work crew and finish the siding.